I am pleased to announce that Preservation Texas, the only member-supported statewide historic preservation organization in Texas, is opening a regional West Texas office in El Paso in January 2024.
The new office will coordinate and deliver Preservation Texas’s historic preservation programs and initiatives within a nine-county region west of the Pecos River, developing a strong grassroots network throughout the West Texas region, which includes diverse urban and rural historic places, cultural landscapes, and constituencies, from urban El Paso to rural Fort Davis. These counties are: Brewster, Culberson, El Paso, Hudspeth, Jeff Davis, Pecos, Presidio, Reeves, and Terrell.
The West Texas Regional Office’s responsibilities will include:
● Serving as the first point of contact for historic preservation inquiries related to the West Texas region
● Organizing and delivering solo and collaborative preservation education workshops, tours, and speaking engagements in West Texas
● Developing and monitoring a conservation easement and covenant program for West Texas
● Responding to Section 106 consultation requests
● Keeping the public and Preservation Texas staff and board informed about regional historic preservation trends, challenges, and opportunities
● Contributing images, ideas, and stories from West Texas for Preservation Texas’s statewide social media and publications
● Recruiting and managing regional volunteers and interns in support of regional goals
The West Texas Regional Office will greatly expand the capacity of Preservation Texas to build a strong grassroots network for historic preservation while assisting local governments and private investors. The Office will provide on-the-ground assistance across the region. Historic preservation is site specific, and a regional focus will ensure that Preservation Texas can provide timely in-person assessments, advice, and programming support where and when it is most urgently needed.
WEST TEXAS PROGRAM OFFICER WANTED
Preservation Texas will hire a full-time, salaried West Texas Program Officer who will be based in El Paso. The salary will be $75,000 or commensurate with experience and will include health benefits and paid time off.
Please share the attached job description and encourage qualified individuals to apply!
With many thanks,
Max Grossman, PhD
Board of Directors, Preservation Texas